John Hawkins
john.Information john.Journal

Dr John Hawkins

Welcome to my bit of the Maison de Stuff, home to a huge load of pictures, and my daily blog.

My email address is as above - I've put it in an image in a vein attempt to reduce the amount of spam I get.

John's Journal / Blog
Main Index
John's Pictures
Main Index
Main Index (text only)
Recent Updates
John's Travel
Main Index
Other Related Sites:
Maison de Stuff

Burns Night

Posted on 2011/01/29 14:20:10 (January 2011).

[Monday 24th January 2011]
I held my fourth Burns Night tonight (having previously held them in 2010, 2009 and 2005), very much along similar lines to the previous two years. We had a pretty good turn out this year - there were 9 of us in the end, which was fun as we only really have room for seven people to sit down. Luckily though one of our guests brought along a couple of folding chairs with him.

I was very pleased by how several of the people who were there last year (Al, Andrew and Kyle) were so eager to come again this year - although it may just be that January is a generally somewhat boring month with not much else to do.

The food seems to get easier every year - I've got it down to a fine art I think - and I think it all turned out pretty well - there wasn't anything left at the end of the evening at least. We also managed to work our way through a pleasing amount of whisky - I've been trying to think my collection down a bit, as there are lots of odds and ends of bottles that seem to have been hanging around for years, and are creating a lot of clutter in the kitchen.

I did the "Ode to a Haggis" as always, which met with the usual reception - a mixture of bemusement and mild concern for the state of my mental health.

Also today I went back to the doctor in the morning, my sore throat still having not having cleared up a week after completing the course of antibiotics they'd given me last time. I saw a different doctor this time who thought it was probably viral (in which case the antibiotics wouldn't have done anything). He took a swab test but pretty much told me to come back in a week's time if it still hadn't cleared up.

Post a comment